There are no rules in online business: except this – Be True to Your Soul.
Everything else should be approached as a friendly suggestion.
You’ll hear me talk about creating a business that speaks to your soul, but what do I mean by this?
What I mean is this:
I don’t want you to create a business based on what everyone else is saying you should do. Build a business that satisfies nobody but you and in so doing, you will also create an authentic business that speaks to the people you’re here to help.
I’ve been on this train of thought for some time now, but since I started speaking out about it; I’ve gained greater clarity and a frenzy of confirmation.
I’m going to share a few examples (for those of you to whom this is all Techno-Geek, bear with me. I’ll highlight the jargon and explain it all as we go along.)
Here are some examples of the “rules” I’ve tried to follow that have done nothing more than hold me back and leave me struggling in business:
- People have short attention spans, so keep your blog posts short;
- Search Engine Optimization (“SEO”) is dead;
- You have to focus on SEO, it’s the only way you’ll ever be found by the search engines;
- Write your headline first;
- Your domain name should contain a keyword, and:
- Don’t talk about yourself. Your readers don’t care about you other than to the extent you solve their problems.
While none of these is inherently wrong and in fact all are valid in their own way, they are also rules that have at times hindered my business more than they’ve helped it.
This is why I say: “throw all this shit out and create a business that’s true to you.”
Stick with me, I’m about to explain.